About Mountain State Healthy Families
Mountain State Healthy Families is an accredited in-home family education program offered free of charge to families in Cabell, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, and Wayne Counties in WV.
Mountain State Healthy Families is part of the Healthy Families America (HFA) network. HFA programs are located in over 430 communities in 35 states, DC and Canada. The HFA accreditation is public recognition by PCA America that a home visitation program is following best practice standards as established by over 20 years of research into what really works in intensive home visitation.
HFA Program Goals:
- Build and sustain community partnerships to systematically engage families in home visiting services prenatally or at birth.
- Cultivate and strengthen nurturing parent-child relationships.
- Promote healthy childhood growth and development.
- Enhance family functioning by reducing risk and building protective factors.
The Staff of Healthy Families America programs:
- Ensure families have a medical provider;
- Share information on children’s development processes;
- Assist families in identifying their baby’s needs and obtaining certain resources;
- Support families in the home while they respond to their child’s and their own needs;
- Share ideas on caring for babies, toddlers, and young children;
- Link families with other resources in the community for assistance with job placement, identification of day care providers, etc.;
- Assist families in following up with recommended immunization schedules; and
- Help families feel more empowered.